Friday, December 11, 2009

Be Positive

The other day, I was teaching science to my cousin, for her upcoming exam, where she got confused over a diagram explaining charging using induction. You can have a look at the diagram for those who don't remember a thing. So anyway her text-book had a similar diagram in it, with the following diagram with the side having an induced positive charge grounded. The diagram however showed that there was a negative charge flowing through the wire connecting the side with the positive charge to the earth, and this really got my cousin confused. Where did that negative charge come from? she asked me, pointing at the wire. That's when this really profound thought struck me. No I know I am not going to be able to do it justice by the words I put it in, but bear with me. You see, it isn't the excess of positive charge that makes something positively charged, it is the lack of negative charge (electrons) that makes it positive. Now think about it with respect to optimism and pessimism. Pessimism has never done anyone any good (at least that's what they say) and on the other hand, optimism overrated (to an extent). I know most people would find it hard to digest, but optimism is a self destructive concept. I mean, what if a sanguine person keeps failing in life? How long can he keep at it? That is where the concept of being positive (not to be confused with being optimistic) comes in. When I say be positive, I mean it with reference to the electrostatic theory, ie, to be positive, you don't really have to be positive, but merely stay clear of negativity. Thus being positive is a state that can be persisted, despite the numerous failures in life one may have to face, in other words, a win-win situation, I'd say. Also, I learnt quite recently, that my blood group is probably B+, my mum didn't seem that sure about it when I asked her, but till the time I don't get a test done, I think I'll accept B+ as my blood group, especially since it goes well with my be positive theory :)

No comments: